Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 Need to Understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmbucky

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2002
US
I'm totally ignorant of what is really going on behind the scenes of e-mail. Here's my question.

We have GroupWise 6.0. We have a program that will automatically send out e-mail if you click on this icon. We asked if it will work with GroupWise. The answer was - if it is POP3.

I can see that GroupWise is POP3 enabled - but can anyone give me the overview on what this salesperson is trying to tell me?

Thanks!!

The Groupwise POA can talk to email clients 3 ways: native groupwise access (via the Groupwise client), IMAP or POP3. You have to enable POP3 connections via your firewall, and enable it in the properties of the GWIA on the Groupwise tab, network address page. You will have to set up the GWIA to relay mail for the IP or range that this app will be coming from (depending on your security settings). A good example of a POP client is the email client in Netscape. IMAP is "better" as it can deal with foldering etc, but most basic email clients are POP3. The program you're looking at should have a setting where you tell it the name or IP of your SMTP server - which will be Groupwise in this case. SMTP sends your mail.. POP3 retrieves it in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back