Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 Mail server time-out when connected through WIN2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kontko

Programmer
Mar 23, 2001
US
Hello, I have a WIN2000 server running in my environment as the only server on the small SOHO network. It is a domain controller, and I am running NAT instead of DHCP/DNS on the server, as it is used to connect the clients on the network to the internet through a DSL connection. The internet connection works fine. The local networking runs fine. The clients have Outlook Express installed and running on their machines. Prior to having the WIN2000 server as the server for the network, I had a WIN98 machine set up as a file/print server with ICS running to connect other clients on the network to the internet.

OK, now for the problem. When we were running with WIN98, Outlook Express ran fine. We could connect to the mail server(s) just fine, and could send and receive email; with no issues. With the WIN2000 server, if I send smallish emails, they are sent, and are received OK. If I send a large email, I consistantly get the message that the POP3 mail server has timed out. The mail servers are out on the internet somewhere. They are not in the office. I have tried increasing the time-out time in the properties for the account in Outlook, but no luck.

Any suggestions on where I might start looking ? I am baffled. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back