Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop3, ip, analogx proxy, winnt4 (sp5) netopia r3100u router

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcvan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
CA
Smtp mail out is OK, internet access is OK
Pop3 incoming mail fails to authorize (outlook express)
Any idea what else to examine?
Mail server being connected to is OK (server connects no prob, around proxy)
Proxy sw (analogx has been configured, checked and rechecked)
Same with isdn router config
All static ip, internalally and to the router

Do you have a filter set enabled on the 3100? If so is it allowing port 110 traffic through?

datadan, I think the 3100 is OK, I should have clarified that connecting from the server, through the router out to the mail server is OK, the proxy is out of the equation and it's ok. Therefore I think it is the analogx (free) software that has a bug (this happened "automatically") or a config change within NT has ocurred, although I dont know how, as I didnt do it (nobody else should have either)
Is there something/someplace I should look that would cause this on the NT side?

I have same problem with similar setup/Nt config. Did you solve the problem? A solution would be great.

Have you tested manually to determine if you are having a problem connecting to the mail server, or if, as the error message says, you are not authenticating?

Are you using simple password authentication, or AUTH? Or are you using POPS?

If you are using POP with simple password authentication, just telnet to pop.company.com 110. When you connect, type:
<server> +OK
USER username
<server> +OK
PASS password
<server> +OK
QUIT

If you are using POPS, it is on port 995 and uses TLS (I believe) for transport, so manual testing is out of the question, other than to telnet to that port and see if you get a connection.

If you are using straight POP and you cannot login using the above procedure, but you get the initial +OK when you telnet to the machine, then your problem is in your Outlook configuration, not the router or POP server.

Try looking under Tools, Accounts. Click on the Mail tab, and select your mail account. On the Severs tab, check to make sure that &quot;Log on using Secure Password Authentication&quot; is properly configured. Using SPA may require that you connect to port 995 on your POP server, not 110. I'm not certain, as I've never had an ISP who supported SPA.

You also want to check the Advanced tab and make sure that the Incoming mail points to the correct port (110 for POP, 995 for POPS) and that you have correctly selected the &quot;This server requires a secure connection (SSL)&quot; checkbox.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back