Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caden

Programmer
Dec 9, 2001
CA
Hey Tek-Tips, i've got a question for you, so, I can not remember what I did recently, but i've been getting a lot of popups and they are driving me crazy. I have ad-aware 6.0 and made sure it was updated, I ran it on my machine and found all sorts of junk that I got rid of, and a lot of the pop up stuff has been removed, but some of it is still around.

Is there another piece of software around the internet that is good at gettin rid of stuff that Ad-Aware does not find?

Thanks
Caden

Also use Spybot, another free download. You should turn off Messenging. Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Find Messenging, right click, select Properties, click Stop Service, and change the Startup Type to Disabled. That should stop the pop-ups.

another usefull and non-intrusive tool I have is the Google Toolbar (available from google.com). It has one of the best popup blockers I've used and provides Google searching straight from your toolbar.

Another tidbit I noticed: if you stop Messenger in Services, it has nothing to do with Windows Messager, so it may not solve your issues. Stopping it is good, but you ought to do disable the Windows Messenger also.

To disable the Messenger, go to Run, type "gpedit.msc" and select: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Messenger
There are two options here. "Enable" both of them.

Wow, thanks for all the advice, between Adaware and Spybot I think all of my spyware is dead ;) Although, I also got the google bar which is very convient.

Thanks guy!
Caden

Caden: I now use Mozila as a browser,and very seldom get a popup,and as a plus it is faster at handleing web pages than IE.Give it a try ,it's free and installs slicker than Cat sh-t on linoleum :+) . Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back