Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-ups on home page - yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I hate pop-ups PERIOD!

I think a better approach would be on your main page, before the special offers, to have a bold title called News Flash.

Then provide a link to your new window aka(pop-up) that way it is the users choice.

Just my 2 cents. "did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

MrGreed

Personal opinion, pop-ups always p1ss me off!!
BUT you have done it quite well, it's not a big flashy pop-up, instead it's a tiny neat one which is tolerable!

Have you considered pop-unders??

É ::

I think cian said it perfectly
Personal opinion, pop-ups always p1ss me off!!

however I also agree that in this case you have incorpurated it nicly and not as in simple terms anoying as norm.

there is a big move to the floating div's as Tek-Tips shows a example of on the home page. that is a good alternative to taking the pop-up effect out of the pop-up. of course the div doesn't have to be floating and stationary. if you are concerned on that front that may be something to look into. it gives a effect of the pop=up being part of the site instead of a intrusive window that simply gets clodes without consideration. _________________________________________________________
for the best results to your questions: FAQ333-2924
[sub]01001111 01101110 01110000 01101110 01110100[/sub]
onpnt2.gif
[sup] [/sub]

I don't think it is a good idea not just because it does p1ss everyone off but that most ISPs out there are providing so many pop up blockers, stoppers, whatever you want to call them, that pop ups become useless anyway.
AJ
[americanflag]

Like many people, I close pop-ups even before I see what they have to say. I think people feel a loss of control when their browser starts opening windows they never asked for.

Some people don't have the ability to block pop-ups. Don't turn away potential customers!

NOT directed at you Neil, but at others who open 3-4 pop-ups on each page.

Afer GB finished with Saddam he should go after pop-up abusers! :)

É ::

I wonder what the stats are on getting traffic from pop ups. I can not imagine it being high but I guess if you get just one customer than it was worth it.
AJ
[americanflag]

Personal opinion. I either block them before they open with pop up blocker or when I forgot to run it close them without even looking at them.
The only thing that spoils popups is there over use. Used sensibly they do have their place.
Regards
Ian Infinity exists! - I just haven't worked out a way to get there yet.

| |

I agree with ne4x4. We have an application here where they are used as a selection box for possibly hundreds of records. Ads suck! iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]
Want to have all your bookmarks in one spot?

Pop-ups are never really a good idea, that is why so many people have opted to get pop-up stoppers, and so many ISP providers are now offering that feature (earthlink, AOL, etc)...
But its not to say that all popups are bad, some are legit and crucial, but that's a rare find...
I'd get rid of the pop-ups, whatever is in the popup can certianlly go on the site itself... Forget the Nobel Peace prize, I just want to take over the world!! [hammer]

Ok, thanks for the answers (always get a great response at this site!)

mmm, now, take it off or leave it on, mmmmm...[flips coin!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back