Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop ups, It's a bad world out there 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

murgychoor

Technical User
Nov 21, 2003
US
Hi all. I have antivirus, firewall(software), spyware remover, spywatch, and windows washer to no avail. Pop ups, baaaaaad ones are still there within seconds tens of 'em. What to do? ( besides not connecting to the internet)

Ads might be comming through messenger service, but I've been using messenger for years and never had this problems. All this started about 2-3 months ago. I do not remember installing any software that could be causing this.

The Messenger Service has nothing to do with Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger. Confusing I know, but they are different.

Try disabling the service and see if the Ads stop. You can easily enable it again if they don't.

it is the windows messenger service on 2k or XP, rather than disabling the service, which can be used by system messages, it would be better to install a firewall and block the two ports that these come in on. The two ports and some info on this can be found at:

If it's IE popups, the free version of popup stopper isn't too bad and catches quite a lot of annoying ads and windows. Should be available at
Regards
Griff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back