Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop-up window

Status
Not open for further replies.

kann

Programmer
Feb 16, 2000
US
Hi,
I have a main window, which opens a pop-up window. When user closes this pop-up window, internally database to be updated and this should be closed. Problem is if user close the pop-up window using windows close button, next operation will not be done. So I have to open another window
to make this operation and close it again . But it will be (new window) visible for a while even after the main pop-up window closes. Can any body help to resolve this.
thanks
Kann

hie kann,
as i already suggested today 2 somebody, u culd move this new window outside the screen, & then close it without botherin that user is able 2 kill it

However you can only move a window outside the screen if you have the security rights to do so, which you usually don't.
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

hi tsdragon, really?
in what browser? didnt heard about it.. i'll check it out & post here..

This is from developer.netscape.com, regarding the window.moveTo function:

"Exceeding any of the boundaries of the screen (to hide some or all of a window) requires signed JavaScript, so a window won't move past the screen boundaries. You need the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege for this. For information on security, see the Client-Side JavaScript Guide."
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

netscrap $uxx, who cares about it.. ;-)

I agree, but as far as I know that's NOT a netscape limitation. I think it applies to IE too. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

no'p, just checked:
wnd=open('','','')
wnd.moveTo(0,screen.AvailHeight+100) works just fine - window is kicked off the screen's area..

regards, vic

Hmmm, I don't think I like that at ALL! What's to prevent someone from leaving a window open on your screen that you can't see and doing dastardly things with it?
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

well, i agree, (didnt thought about dark side of this way) but the fact is.. it works, so, anyone is able 2 do with it everything anytime .. :-(

Going back to the main point - why can't you use an onUnload in the BODY tag of the popup to call the code that you would need to call anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back