Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-up fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinggoose

Technical User
Oct 28, 2005
US
I have created a database in FMP7 and some of my fields I have changed to Pop-Up list and set what values that should be associated with the field. Everything works great in FMP7, but when I set up the link with FMP Mobile 7 I have to redo all the fields and make them pop-up lists again and change the associations again. Is there a way in FMP7 that I can make those fields not change when going to Mobile???

FileMaker mobile is a flat and single-file architecture, so if your value lists (in the desktop database) were using related values, or were located in another file, FM Mobile will not be able to see them.

If that's the case, you'll need to script a procedure that builds the value list within the file you're syncing to, prior to running the HotSync procedure.

HTH

I build the value list by right clicking the field and choosing field format. I change it to pop-up list and then enter the data (not an external source). But I have now notice that each time I make a new view or report and also when I choose the fields to synch. I have to reselect the pop-up list for each field.

Is there a way to make the field a pop-up list and it stays with the field. I know in MS-Access, when you create the database you can then choose for the field to be a pop-up and it is always a pop-up from then on, or you can make a regular field a pop-up in a form.

I think the answer is no. However, if you copy the field from one layout to another then the list MAY come along but I have no experience with FM Mobile at all but standard FMP works in that manner.

Generally speaking, in FileMaker the popup list is attached to the physical field (on the layout) rather than the field in the table definition because it offers maximum flexibility I suppose. If it were bound to the field definition then you wouldn't be able to have an occurance of the field without the popup list.

-Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back