Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pop-up boxes from a plain link

Status
Not open for further replies.

moogie

MIS
May 31, 2001
AU
I've seen similar recent posts, but my problem seems slightly different.

I have to trigger a set-size, no toolbar window (for a "virtual tour") from a PLAIN link on a third party's site.

I know how to do it where I can write the link with the Java conditions, but I'm not sure how to get the effect from a PLAIN link.

My guess is that I have to have an intermediate page that opens the final window at a set size and without toolbars, but then almost instantly closes itself in the background.

I thought I had it, but the code I used invoked the "A program you are running wants to close a browser window" warning in IE, and of course I don't want this.

does anyone have any suggestions?? The key point are that I can't control the nature of the initial link, and the end browser window has to be a set size and without toolbars etc.

any help appreciated.

matthew

<a href=&quot;javascript:window.open(' '_blank', 'toolbar=no,height=480,width=640,status=no,resizable=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no');&quot;>Click here.</a>

That will do what you're after - however it will replace the window it's called from with [object] (in IE anyway... haven't tried NS/OP). I can't seem to get around this, but if you know of an invisible frame somewhere, try setting the target attribute of the A object to point at that.

thanks i1, but I'm not sure how I incorporate your suggestion, as it looks like a link to me... and the initial link has to be plain, i.e (as opposed to scripting.)

it's fine that it replaces the window it's called from, but I can I make it simply &quot;trigger itself&quot; as opposed to needing to be clicked??

sorry if my terminology is off-base, I'm very new to javascript.

Just to recap... the triggering link cannot be java (it's not my page and the links it produces are made on the fly)

thanks.

MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back