Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pop-up Blocker Detecter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krus1972

Programmer
Mar 18, 2004
US

I am using the following code to open brand new browser windows when our users use our website. I would like to integrate a popup blocker detector within the below code. If the users' pop-up blocker is enabled on our website, the below code cannot open the new browser sessions. If this is the case, I would like to, instead, show the user a message reminding them that they need to whitelist their pop-up blocker, on our domain name, in order for our website will work properly. I would like the pop-up blocker detector to work on Chrome, Edge, Fire fox, and all other popular browsers including mobile browsers.

Is there any such way this can be accomplished?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Code:
<a id="3" target="_parent" href="link goes here"></a>
<a id="1" target="_blank" href="link goes here"></a>  
<a id="2" target="_blank" href="link goes here"></a>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="TEXT/JAVASCRIPT">
	document.getElementById('1').click();
	document.getElementById('2').click();
	document.getElementById('3').click();
</script>

How does one whitelist a pop-up blocker, especially on a mobile browser? You're running into a serious usability issue that will likely hurt the effectiveness of your web site for both humans and search engines.

Is a spawned window or tab really the best option for your goal? This was a clumsy practice, even in the 1990s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back