Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor Text for Print Preview - Windows 2000 and up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelunaboy

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Has anyone found a solution to the poor quality of the text when using print preview on boxes running Windows 2000 or newer?

I searched the forums but didn't see any solutions, and I have tried all the suggestions I saw, and then some. It appears not to be the font, because they are the same (in name at least) as used on the 9x boxes. I have also ruled out video drivers.

Thanks in advance!

You should update your printer driver, as that controls print preview.

Thank you for your input, however the problem in our installation appears to be rooted elsewhere, because the printer drivers are up to date, and the visual difference between the same application on a Win9x box and Win2K is very apparent, but they both print to the same network printer.

Thank you,
Alan

You should do a search in this forum on
printer driver
print preview

Your issue has been addressed often before

From Microsoft TechNet - Article ID : 156788

SYMPTOMS
When you use Print Preview to view a report in FoxPro running under Windows NT, the text in the report is difficult to read when using a low- resolution video driver.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a bug in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article. This bug is fixed for Visual FoxPro versions 5.x with the Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 2. If using a version of FoxPro or Visual FoxPro prior to 5.x, use the resolutions provided in this article.

RESOLUTION
One of the following methods can be used to resolve this problem:

• The quality of the Print Preview appears to be directly related to the current video resolution. The higher the video resolution, the better the quality of the Print Preview. Typically, video resolutions of 1024x768 or higher yield satisfactory Print Preview quality.

-or-
• Create two reports: one for Print Previews and one for printing. In the report for Print Preview, increase the font size so that it is readable in Print Preview mode. Note that there is less information placed on each page in Print Preview mode, which results in the Print Preview showing more pages than the report that prints to the printer.

--------------------
My comments:

Using 1024x768 helped a little, but a display only report with a larger font really helped.

Thank you,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back