Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor performance with ADO stored proc. call

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've got a SQL Server 2000 DTS package that has an ActiveX Script task written in VBScript that inserts rows into a table. I've tested it with
1) an explicit "INSERT INTO " command with objCommand.CommandType = adCmdText
2) a stored proc. call with objCommand.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc and parameter objects
3) a stored proc. call in a text string with objCommand.CommandType = adCmdText (e.g., ins_tblStage_TestResult5 'CAN001',123,etc.)

Methods 2 and 3 above take approx. 5 times longer than method 1. I've programmed a lot of ADO in VB6 and my experience there was that ADO calls to stored procs. with parameter objects is very efficient.

Is there a performance issue with calling a stored proc. with ADO from VBScript? My stored proc. does a IF NOT EXISTS prior to inserting the row. I create the command and connection objects outside my insert loop, and create the objCommand.CommandText inside the insert loop.

well, if your sp has to check IF NOT EXISTS for each insert, this could be time consuming...

=========================================================
-jeff
try { succeed(); } catch(E) { tryAgain(); } finally { rtfm(); }

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back