Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poor color painting on 25 pair amphenol! Alternatives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHAX

Vendor
Sep 5, 2003
US
Hi everybody!

Here's my ponder.

Personally I prefer to terminate my 25 pairs right on to a 66 block (from the phone system) I just think it looks better than using preterms. That being said...

I've been using plantronics 25 pair male amp to open end for my projects. On my last install I had two of them, both supposedly from plantronics, one of the cables the colors were painted clear and were easy to distinguish. The other was a nightmare, poorly painted colors, near impossible to distinguish.

Is there another cable brand or product I should be asking for? I go to the graybar and they just seem to be getting worse. Any help greatly appreciated!

I normally buy 25 foot extension cables, I got tired of getting pigtails and having the wrong end or too many, so extension cables prepare me for whatever install it is, I just cut them off where I need them and use the correct end.

Perhaps it is technique, but yes depending on the cable it may be harder to find the tracer and locate the pairs.

I strip off about 2" of the jacket with a ring type tool and tape wires at the end so they don't get unraveled. Then, I strip back 2 to 3 feet of jacket with the rip cord or the proper stripping tool. Next I pull the various groups out (all the white pairs for example) and I twist the loose ends tightly so that group doesn't unravel. From there it seems to be pretty easy to distinguish and get them laid down properly.

Often plenum cable seems to be harder to read for me at least, and of course good light and good eyes help.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Personally I order pre-terminated 25 [air cables and Telco patch panels when possible.
We typically patch telephones the same as data.
As for colors on cables, that’s almost a crap shoot lately, the last Commscope we installed looked just like Avaya ..hmmm...(Commscope bought Avaya) with the tips having no tracer on them.
I really like NORDX, even their plenum has great colors, like Daron said plenum can usually be a bugger to see, especially for my old eyes.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I agree Daron. The method you use sounds like the old school techniques that the old AT&T guys taught me years ago. At that time they did make some things that didn’t have tracer colors, so if you let that get away from you, well let’s just say it wasn’t good. I believe that by extension cables, you are talking about male/female ended cables. That is also what I buy. I still prefer to lay down my cables vs. pre made. I have run into too many that have bad pairs in them. Strip back enough to keep your pairs together, and you should be OK.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

I believe we are starting to see some quality issues with "OFFSHORE" manufacturing. I too am seeing some poor quality 25 pair pigtails lately, and from several good brandname companies. The thing they have in common is the "Made In China" tag. The cable seems to have about 1 twist per 10 feet, and the color is poor.

MarvO said it

Is everyone just going that way or are there some brands that are better than others. I currently use the plantronics from graybar, but im up for suggestions.

BHAX

I recently had another cabinet installed in our main equipment room. The Avaya tech's did the cabling between my Homaco freestanding frame and the backplane of the EPN. Avaya sent out double ended cables to do this. They installed cables made by Krone. They are made in the US and so far no problems.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

Graybar also sells Ortronics and Vartronics, each sell the 25 pair cables and I have had good, consistent luck with identifying the cable pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back