Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor Book for learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghsteelers

Technical User
Apr 21, 2006
US
I purchased a book that I have found tells you "what" to do, but not all that often why. I think most people agree, in a majority of the time, learning something can be a slight bit easier if they know "Why" something is the way it is and for what reason.

For example, in this book they start you out creating some very generic type programs that has the user type in a key word and it will launch system local applications (calculator...paint..ect)..

However, they require that the assigned variable be placed with var.MakeUpper(). But they don't say why you have to capitalize.

Any recommendations for a site or book that does a better job of explaining the why's and hows?

I'm not sure I can easily answer your question, but two things you should be aware of when looking for books on Visual Studio C++

(1) There are huge differences between .NET framework 1 and framework 2. I've been messing about with a borrowed book on Studio2003 (with framework 1) and notice that all the example code requires large (and not very intuitive) changes before it will work with framework 2.

(2) Visual Studio Express edition, which microsoft have been kind enough to make freely downloadable, doesn't include any ability to write native Win32 programs that use the microsoft foundation classes to display windows graphic user interfaces (you can't expect everything for free!). Therefore any book that teaches you about Studio C++'s ability to create native win32 applications is likely to be partially wasted on you if you only have the Express edition.

My own personal dislike is paying through the nose for a book where there's an interesting fact every 5 pages or so, and the pages in between explain in hideous detail the basic concept of the logical AND, or how an if-then works, all of which is nearly the same in all languages and has been since programing languages began; it really needs at most 2 lines to sum up.

Herb Schildt usually writes pretty good books. His "STL from the Ground Up" was pretty good.

Also if they are still around, the Waite Group had a couple good ones like Visual C++ HOWTO.

I'm still programming in hte dark ages with VC++ 6.0

\0

Thats a good platform, Look over the TechNotes included with the help theres a couple pretty good ones.

Herb Schildt's C++ the complete reference is pretty good (C++, no MFC)

The "C++ Standard Library, A Tutorial and Reference" by Nicolai M Josuttis is excellent, although advanced

"Common Controls & Messages API Bible" by Simon, Waite Group Press was great for learning tree and list view control. Maybe they have a newer version, or you can find an old copy cheap.

enjoy the journey!

Thanks again NullTerminator. Anyone have thoughts on Ivor Horton books (particularly his Visual C++ 6 and Visual C++ 2005) ?

The seems to try and explain the uses for everything, why things are the way they are, through actually learning the basics behind C++ before every getting you into the visual part.

I'm using Ivor Horton's Vis C++ 2005 at the moment, but as said: anyone using the express edition will miss 40% of what the book has to offer. I much prefer it to the Deitel books, but that's just a personal preference based on style.
Yes, splitting each chapter into traditional/win32 C++ and then CLI/C++ works well, both for those who are already C++ experienced, and those who aren't. The exercises and the example code sections are better thought-out than average, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back