Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poor Aux Copy performance with LTO5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfokker

MIS
Aug 27, 2007
US
I have a 6TB disk backup that I Aux copy to tape every weekend. My tape library is a TL2000 connected through a 6G sas connection configured with two LTO5 drives. My average tape performance for these Aux copies is 140-150g/hr. I have multiple streams that backup to disk and then spin copies to tape using the aux copy. Of that above mentioned performance that is an average and I can see bursts of up to 500G/hr on occasion but can never maintain a consistent acceptable throughput of 300G/hr or better. I have update to the latest firmware on the drives & library and have seen little perfomance increase. How can I go about getting these numbers increased? I have tried increasing chunk size, drivers etc with no luck. I have a remote media agent that does 411G/hr to a single LTO5 drive in a PV124t library following a similar configure hardware setup.

What is the performance of the disk that the aux copy is being read from? It could be that your tape drive is running out of data in it's buffer because of a delay reading from the primary copy.

Its a Dell MD1000 with 15 drives(7200 RPM sata drives) connected via a Perc6 external controller. The drives are configured in three raid 5 sets.

I should also mention I do a backup once a month directly to the tape drives from a server that I see an average 225G/hr. This particular client is a Apple x-serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back