Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pools and Volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JG5

MIS
Nov 18, 2001
US
I'm using Networker 6.1.1 and have 3 backup groups configured: Exchange, SQL and Full. The Exchange group backs up only DS and IS, the SQL only databases, leaving the full to back up the C: drive, D: drives, etc. The backups are working properly and performance is pretty good. I have only one pool for everything. I have a Compaq SSL2020 (2 AIT-2 drives, 1 19 slot cartridge). Should I create a separate pool for each group? If so, should I let the jukebox auto manage the media? The reason I created only 1 pool is because I didn't want to risk over running the capacity of a tape and causing a backup to fail or report incomplete. Thanks for any input.

You really only want to create pools if you have savesets with differing retention periods. If the retention periods are the same for Exchange, SQL and the rest, then one pool is the smart choice.

Thanks. We do a full backup every night. I have 5 cartridges that hold 19 tapes each, so my retention periods are set to 5 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back