Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POOF! User Profile damaged or missing? (screenshots inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US

Cecile, a standard WinXP user logs in today and sees a whole new desktop. Poof! Her profile is not being used but it says she is logged in as Cecile20.

So I take a screen shot of the profiles and see her profile has been backed up and she is using a temp profile in the meantime.

What has happened?
How do I get her profile back?

Secondarily to the root issue I want to avoid setting up everything again.

The user's profile has become corrupt. There are a couple of ways to recover from this. Here are a few....

- How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

- How to recover the damaged user profile in Windows XP

- Windows XP Problems if Your Profile Is Damaged

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I followed the proper steps to recover a damaged profile but during the copying process the following error is returned:

"Failed to set Security on the Destination profile. Error - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

what now?

Follow the steps in the first link to manually copy data from the corrupted user profile to the new one. Remember to NOT copy the specified "Ntuser" files.

Joey
CCNA, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back