Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2004
US
We have a customer that has a BUNCH of Polycom 501 IP Phones. He wants to know if the IP Office will run these phones. After looking at the datasheet with Polycom, the phones have to run off of SIP of MGCP. I know that SIP is out of the question, but can someone tell me if they know if the IPO supports MGCP phones? I know another strange one...

There is no way to directly connect the SIP/MGCP phones to IPO. But you can still get them to work. Use asterisk and oooh323 to create a proxy/translater. There is two ways to do it, H.323 third party end point or use a T1/PRI connection. I would suggest the PRI route as we are currently looking to switch our h.323 connection over due to some dtmf issues.

The bigger question is why would you not skip the IPO and just use asterisk natively as its not that scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back