Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom VTX 1000 does not ring with our phone system Merlin Legend Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdagne

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2014
US
thread689-1214102

Hello bumpinaltima, curious to see what happened with your case with Polycom. We have two Polycom VTX 1000 conference phones hooked up to the our phone system Merlin Legend Magic and everything works great except they will not ring. We tested the line and it is getting a ring signal to the phone. We tried your test and swapped the power supply with the an older speaker phone power supply and it worked great, the phone was able to ring and perform as expected. We also moved the phone to a standard analog port from Charter running off an Arris TM608G system, and the phone did ring and performed as expected. So the problem is the combination of our old phone system and that power supply unit.

One trick to try...if it already hasn't been done...would be to configure the ports as fax machines. This would cause the system to send a ringing signal that mimics what a LEC generates.

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

This is a little silly, but I had this at a location with a ClearOne conference phone. I bought a jack splitter and connected a plain old telephone to the one-side and the ClearOne to the other side. So, the single-line set would ring and they would know to answer the ClearOne conference phone.

This is a really great community, that you all for you help and assistance. Telecomboy, I ended up buying these, so I don't think you idea is silly, but practical and cheap. I am waiting to hear back from our phone guy to try switching it to a fax port and also play with the ring frequency. I will respond once I have more information. This was the response from Polycom, not real happy with their support, mainly because if the old Polycom power supply works, so should the new one.

Chris,

We have some former AT&T/Avaya guys in our group and I ran this problem by them and received this response:

The Merlins put out more of a square wave than a sine wave for ring tone. This caused issues with mostly modems. The answer many years ago was to either add an in-line filter to better shape the ring tone, or upgrade to a real modem… I suggest the user contact Avaya to see if any of the filters are still available or if Avaya can share the specs to build one.

This product is similar, but I can’t guarantee it will work:

As the VTX module worked fine on a POTS line, I don’t think there is anything wrong with the hardware. It might be best to contact Avaya or attempt using a product like the ring booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back