Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom Soundstation EX Troubleshooting Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedWire

Technical User
May 4, 2001
I am running across a repetitive problem with the Polycom Soundstation EX. It seems that after several months of use, whenever someone is called, the called individual experiences a loud humming/buzzing sound in the background. This problem is occuring with every Polycom Soundstation in our bldg (we have around 7 of them). Can anyone help me with this? I have tried assigning them new ports and reprogramming, also switching out the power packs. Thanks for any suggestions.

David

I have had same problem. We called Polycom and they sugested reseting (unplug from bottom of unit and wait 10 seconds replug). They said that sometimes by moving unit plug nit seated correctly, (but we never moved ours), also that power surges cause unit to operate erraticlly. We majke it a practice to reset before the first call of the day and no troubles since. There has to be a better way, but until then it works. Good Luck!!

Executone, I went ahead and tried this out, it does not seem to work, except in one of the units the buzzing sound did decrease significantly. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

David

Executone, I think I figured out the problem. The buzzing/humming sound comes from the internal microphones. I opened one of the units up and retracted each mike from their foam protectors and basically rubbed them clean w/my thumb and forefinger (as crazy as this sounds, I am not kidding). I enclosed them back in their foam pouches and the problem is gone. It is not difficult to open these units, you just need a phillips screwdriver. There are 5 screws (one at each of the 3 points and 2 right under the dialpad area under the rubber stoppers).

I just got off the phone with Polycom and they said that the mics were either dirty or obstructed. So, what you are saying is not so crazy. Good Job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back