Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polycom 8000 HDX h.323 video conferencing thru Sonicwall Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhawks10

Technical User
Nov 1, 2011
US
Hello Tek-tips,
I have question about h.323. I have a Polycom 8000 HDX behind a Sonicwall NSA firewall with a NAT setup for all the H.323 ports. It suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. When I called Polycom for support, they said it sounds like your firewall is blocking it and to double check the settup. I doublechecked to no avail and during my googling for a solution I found some instructions that said opening up all these ports is really tricky and that Sonicwalls are nice because you can simply enable H.323 Transformations and that should do the trick. I plan to try turning this on over the weekend. I found the setting on the firewall to enable it, and it has settings for a gatekeeper IP address. I've never used a gatekeeper and know nothing about them(IPO system and Polycoms have worked without it).
So, finally here's my question(or questions):
Is a Gatekeeper necesary? or can I just leave it blank or use my IPO or the external ip from the polycom as the gatekeeper address? Any thing else I need to know about turning this setting on? Any help would be appreciated.

Please go easy on me, as I am by no means a telephony expert, just a small company network admin trying to work out this issue.
Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back