Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Polling Solutions? (remote data retrieval) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshman130

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
Our company is looking for reliable and cost effective software/hardware Solutions for polling different POS systems around the U.S. Each POS will be different because our clients are various restaurants. We would be starting with 600 locations, and will increase to approx. 5400. Data will need to be retieved nightly across the U.S. Does anyone have any experience with such matters. If so please let me know.

P.S I have researched companies such as Spacenet [too expensive, too much x-tra hardware ] Sterling Commerce, Xcellenet, and MLINK. Please advice on any other possible solutions...THANKS. MUCH APPRECIATED!
Josue

what about using the internet?

a small (VB/Java/C++) program placed in each restaurant could open up an SSL connection to a server and feed the data in to that server/database...SSL encrypt the data for security...it shouldn't be too hard to accomadate for each POS type...

Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

I think Sybase provides a good solution for your case.

you can place SQL Anywhere in each restaurant to gather the local data, then use SQL Remote or Replication Server to transfer these data to the center.

you will find some cases at Sybase's(

PRESENTLY THE ORGANISATION WHICH I AM IN IS DEALING WITH MORE THAN 500 LOCATIONS BY WHICH DATA RETREIVED AND REPLICATED TO CENTRAL REPOSITORY VIA ONLINE AND BATCH PROCESSING METHODS USING ORACLE ENVIRONMENT

FOR MORE DETAILS CLICK MY WEB SERVER:

BYE

Our company currently provides exactly the polling services you describe, for a major restaurant organization, retrieving data for over 4,000 locations on a daily basis. The sites are distributed across U.S (Hawaii and Alaska included) and currently we retrieve information from 7 distinct POS systems with 2-3 different configurations for most of these POS environments. We use a variety of push/pull methodologies (dial-up through DSL/FTP transfers) to perform this and execute at a 98% daily success rate. In addition to retrieval , we normalize the data retrieved and can make it avialable for 'web-based' reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back