Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

policy's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

parker309

MIS
Jul 27, 2000
US
I have a very small network, two win2k servers and about ten win2kpro workstations. I am having strange results with some of my policy's I believe. For instance, with the install of Office 2000. I install the software as the Admin (since he is the only one allowed to install) and select to have everything installed to the hard drive. After the installation is complete and I apply the service pack for Office all "seems" to have completed successfully. When I log on as a standard user I try and double-click an Office file (word or excel doc) and Office tries to install something and I get a 1706 "no valid source code found." I have solved the issue by logging in as the admin and opening each type of document. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. After the Admin has accessed these applications then a user can log on and it seems to work fine.

Is this a group policy setting that I missed when setting up my AD? I find this a very annoying situation. Any insight would me appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Log on as admin, go to my computer, users and groups, and add the new user to the group admin. This will allow you to log on as the user, and install things. Think this will fix the problem. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Assign office to the computer through group policy software installation. This will deploy the complete office install to all selected computers and install with elevated priviledges so that the user can use the application without needing admin priviledges.
You can also push modifications, or slipstream the service pack into the administrative install, and redeploy the package with the updates.
The office resource kit can be used to create an .mst file and there you can specify different configurations as needed, and add them to the deployment.

Futuretech204,
Your suggestion is the ideal way to set up application install for these workstations. I am new to that type of deployment. Can you point me in a good direction to start. My company also uses a piece of SW that has monthly updates and I normally do the install/upgrade manually to each machine. Since we are very small it really is not that big of a deal. But we are looking to grow so, I can see a better way to deploy the upgrades is in order.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back