Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamerHan

Technical User
Jul 24, 2003
GB
Hello people.

Was having a problem with policies and was wondering if anyone could help. I think this might end up being a little long so please just bear with me. I am working on a NT server 4.0 and have it hooked up to a laptop running windows xp. I have establised a connection and am able to log on to the server with a user profile which is set on the server (basically log on to the server). the place where I'm having difficulity is setting up policies and preventing the users viewing certain items on the desktop, change setting, etc. I have set a policy for a couple of the users but when I log on, the policy does not take effect and the users still have access to items that they shouldn't have access to. Any help on this topic?
By the way, where does the actual policy file need to be saved in order for it to be read and implemented?

Any help and advice is greatly appriciated.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks alot.

Hi,

firstly, windows xp will ignore your policy files on NT 4.0 server. I have used SPE for some years now based on a win98 network and it works great for me. You need to put the config.pol file in the netlogon share. You also have to enable policies etc.

Now that i have introduced 40 new xp computers on our network i have the script check what version the computer os is and if it is xp it copies a scrip down which i created with a wonderful program called win tweaks. This program cost £20 and can be downloaded from the web - you can disable just about everything with this baby.

cheers,

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

jono261970 - r u sure about XP ignoring NT policies?

TamerHan - the file (as created by policy editor) does need to be saved in the netlogon share (%SystemRoot%\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts) - but it should be called ntconfig.pol for NT/2k/XP workstations. The config.pol file is for 9x/ME workstations only.

I think most of the NT policies work with XP workstations.

wolluf - I meant not at the same time!

win98 and xp cannot use the same config file.

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

still not working people. Doing exactly what your telling me but it's just not reading the policy files. What is the file need to be saved as? I've tried xp_config.pol, xpconfig.pol, ntconfig.pol, and nt_config.pol. None of them worked. What other files need to be in the netlogon share? There are a couple .ADM files, including common.adm, winnt.adm, windows.adm and command.adm. I'v been told to rename these files and add an 'xp_' in front, e.g. windows.adm become xp_windows.adm. Is this correct? If it isn't then could you please tell me what files to copy in there and what I should rename it into, whether I need to rename them.
Thank You.

Hi,

If you are using win98 stations then the policy should be called config.pol else it is called ntconfig.pol and should be saved to the net logon share.

You need to install and configure SPE (System Policy Editor)and group policies on the local machine where you will be able to import the ADM files.

Create a group that is already in your domain and start customising. If you are using win98 then you have to go to the control panel, select passwords and enable policies.

jono

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back