Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy wide exlude lists for windows clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgauteng

Technical User
Nov 15, 2006
ZA
Hello Admins
Please could you help !!! I need to setup policy wide exclude lists for windows clients on a unix server . i tried to put them in the $nbdir/db/class/policy /schedule and no joy. would the directories,files and wildcards be case specific on the server even thought the clients are windows ...any help would do .. thanks in advance

not sure how you are trying to do this. However, the excludes are entered into the registry on the client. You can use the GUI to do this

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Hi Bob
I read about how one can input policy wide exclude lists on the server ,so all clients on that policy will use the ploicy exclude if you check $nbdir there is an includes file which is client wide so i was looking at a policy wide excludes list

Have the exclude list built into the server image.

I'm sorry but this is news to me. I never heard of a policy wide exclude list. I'm afraid I can't help you.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I am not sure which version of netbackup software you are using. If you are using NetBackup 5.x, you can specify an exclude or include list that is to be used on a client for backups of a particular policy or schedule. Create a file called exclude_list.policy_name in netbackup directory.

/usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list.policy_name
(Replace policy_name with your policy name)

Ex: If the policy name is Windows_FileSystems then create a file exclude_list.Windows_FileSystems in netbackup directory.

Add all the files or folders you want to exclude (with exact path) in this file.

This way you can specify an exculde list policy wise.

Revert back to me if you have any clarifications.

It doesn't matter which version of NetBackup you are using. You can create as many
exclude_list.policyname.schedulename
include_list.policyname.schedulename
as you desire. This is normally done for clients that have databases on them when you want to backup certain directories for one policy or schedule and to not back them up in another policy or schedule. The sysadmin guide explains how to use the include or exclude filelists. Still, this is done at the client level and is not definable in the policy.

If you ar looking for an easy solution to be able to exclude C:\pagefile.sys you will have to do it at the client.

Bob Stump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back