Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
This has probbly been bounced around a few times, but I can't seem to find a good FAQ on it.

I have an NT 4.0 network but I am now getting Win2k workstations. I would like to disallow the people on these workstations from changing things like backgrounds and screensavers. The problem that I have is that two pieces of software they use AutoCAD and Multi-DNC both require the user to be a Power User for the software to work.

I would like to set policies for these users but I can't seem to find a Win2k template (.adm) file anywhere and all of my Win2k CDs are image/rebuild CDs from the PC manufacturer.

Can someone point me to the correct (.adm) file for Win2k or if I am wrong about needing an (.adm) file point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

-cm

YOu might try looking at MMC snapin for security, it has the templates that i think you might be looking for. Appling them might be a bit different without AD though.

We use the Policy Editor to lock down the same things on workstations in our computer labs. I used the system.adm template, along with a few others to keep the students from changing display settings, including the screensavers and backgrounds. They have found ways to get around this by opening a picture in Paint and using the Set as Wallpaper command. I check the setting in Policy Editor, under Desktop settings for "Don't save settings at exit" to take care of some of these changes.

Let me know if you have any more questions about what templates to use. I've pretty much got this down to a science in the past year, and have written some custom adm files to take care of things that the templates can't.

Renee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back