Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Policy enabled that blocks NT 4.0 Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comput3rGuy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2012
US
I came accross an interesting issue today while troubleshooting a printer issue on a WIN 7 Pro x86, maybe someone has a fix!

Histroy: It is a 32bit Windows 7 Professional HP 6550b (Gen2) Laptop. We have xerox printer server with global printing.

Prrblem: The users says, "I cannot print and there is an error message that comes up saying I need to install the driver." I am thinking sweet qucik fix install the driver and roll out. Nope not so much. when I try to instal the driver from a shared network drive I get a dialog box that says, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. The printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0 Drivers."

I really don't know much about policies. but I looked a the policies and there is nothing obvious. Right now my two options are to go out Xeroxs web site and get the driver and try installing that way or starting oiver with a fresh image (after backing up his profile obviously).

What say you, Policy Experts?

Comput3rGuy

I believe it's nothing with policies. Quick Google search shows it can be something with leftovers from other drivers. I think you should try this.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back