Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POLE DISPLAY! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnvai

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2003
LB
does anyone know how to display charcaters on pole display?
they told me that it's like printing on serial.
is there a code for this?

Depends on the make and model of pole display you are trying to talk to. Most pole displays are connected to a COMM port and you just send stuff to the port. There however, the generalizations end. Some manufacturers have separate addressability for each line of the display while others require that you embed control characters in the string that you send to the port to control line placement. They also have different control characters for how you initialize, clear, etc. the display.

Your best bet is to get your hands on the Programmer's Manual for the specific display that you're using.

Hi John, I have lots of experence with Logic Control poles and as far as they are concered, you can send stuff to their port via a generic text only print driver, its that simple.

Many of the manufactures out there are very will to help with this type of stuff as it ususally means more sales for their products. Ask, you'll be surprised what you get back.

if you can help me with more vb codes or details or information,I would appreciate it.
I need your help!

In some of the POS systems we have worked with in the past they have used a windows generic text printer driver to communicate with the pole through a com port.

Maybe take what ever output you have and send it to the pole as a print job???? It should be that simple.

I dont have much programming experence (except html and sql) so I cant really help with the vb specifics. Sorry!

Hope that helps you.

Rick

yes they are right you just send data to a com port just as you will be sending it on a printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back