Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pointers and typedefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

txiko

Programmer
Apr 26, 2008
GB
Hi there,

I have been struggling for the last days trying to understand one statement made in the book I am reading at the moment (C++ Primer, 5th Ed, page 129)

It tries to explain pointers and typedefs and, for that, gives this bit of code:

typedef string *pstring;
const pstring cstr;

Saying (literally) then: "...what is the type of cstr? The simple answer is that it is a pointer to a const pstring...". After some explanation it concludes then that cstr is a const pointer to a string as well.

OK, I understand at the end cstr is a const pointer to a string (wasn't easy but finally got it), but honestly don't understand why it says it is a pointer to const pstring (note pstring and not strng)...why?? where does the pointer to a pstring come from??

If you could please help me I would be very pleased.
Thanks a lot indeed!!

> The simple answer is that it is a pointer to a const pstring
Simple, but wrong.

cstr is a const pstring
Within the declaration itself, there is no pointer, so saying that it's a "pointer to" is just wrong.

But then you have to look back to discover that pstring is really [tt]string*[/tt], at which point it becomes clear that cstr is a [tt]const string *[/tt]

Sure, the fully resolved declaration is that cstr is a pointer to a const string.

> cstr is a const pointer to a string as well.
Careful, "const pointer" and "pointer to const" are both valid terms, but they don't mean the same thing.
Code:
char * const p = &mychar; // const pointer to (variable) char
*p = 'a';  // modifying what it points at is valid
[red]p = &anotherchar; // modifying where it points is not.[/red]
vs.
Code:
const char *p = &mychar; // (variable) pointer to a const char
[red]*p = 'a';  // modifying what it points at is invalid[/red]
p = &anotherchar; // modifying where it points is fine.
Equally, you can apply the 'const' qualifier to the "pointer" and the "pointee".

--
If you dance barefoot on the broken glass of undefined behaviour, you've got to expect the occasional cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back