Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point to Point 1720 Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt21

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
IT
I am in the process of setting up a point to point t1.

I have decided to purchase two 1720's and have a couple of questions.

It should be a fairly straight forward install with an internet connection needing to be shared from one office to the other. I believe that I need the IP Feature pack.

The 1720's (used) I am looking at have IOS 12.0. The seller is offering The IP / IPx / AT / IE CD17-QP-12.1.1 feature pack. This is more than I need, but will it run on this router with the current IOS version? In order to run this feature pack, I'll need to upgrade the router to 32MB/8MB, correct?

One last question. Is there any a specific configuration I need to specify to the telco when ordering the T-1?

Right now we have a VPN running across ADSL @ 384kbps and it's not a big enough pipe.

Thanks for any and all help.

Matt Butler

I am asuming this is just an office to office T1. Wide open no access lists?
If you are running TCP/IP ONLY you are in the clear with the Two Routers. If you are runing IPX or appletalk you are in need of the upgrade.

Your t1 will be
ESF ( Extended Supper Frame)
B8ZS ( i have no clue )
24 Channels
64K per channel.
( above is an out of the box No config of the CSU's excluding CLOCKING MUST BE SET AT ONE END IF THE TELCO ISNT PROVIDING IT.)
You will need two CSU's for those routers ( one at each end )

You can not get the 384 bumped up? That would be the easiest by far.. and probably the cheapest. Why is 384 not enough? There are ways to optimze a link then just throwing bandwidth(and money) at it. Cut down broadcasts, possible reconfig of applications, configure traffic shaping(or QOS) and so on.

We used to run branch sites( banking) off of 512 links and if they went down, it was a 128Kbps ISDN link. Very slow but they could run.

In one way the 1720 is a waste given what you plan to do. A couple of 2501s would be about 200 each vs. the several hundred for the 1720.

FYI
B8ZS - bipolar eight zero substitution

B8Zs allows the full 64K channel to be used where AMI (Alternate Mark Inversion) will stuff bits that cost you bandwidth in the end

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the input. We priced upgrading our DSL VPN. Currently we pay $100 per location per month. To upgrade from 384k to 768k the price jumps to $290 / month and we still have no guaranteed support. A point to point T-1 is $287 / month with 24 hr support.

Anyway, I have the two 1720's. I plan to share internet access across the connection. Just routing IP.

Do I need to purchase the IP feature pack for these routers?

Based on the details below, do I need anything else.

Here is my sh ver:

IOS (tm) C1700 Software (C1700-SY56I-M), Version 12.1(3), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 05-Jul-00 23:59 by cmong
Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x8087668C

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 23 hours, 56 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c1700-sy56i-mz.121-3.bin"

cisco 1720 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x501) with 16384K/4096K bytes of memory
Processor board ID JAD04200KNP (743327173), with hardware revision 0000
M860 processor: part number 0, mask 32
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
1 Serial network interface(s)
WIC T1-DSU
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Thanks,

Matt

290 ??? yikes!! I see why the interest in the T ..

THis is what you currently have based on the file name:
. IP Plus IPSec 56 (DES)

No, you have everything in this software load you need. this assumes you ONLY need IP and not any IPX or the like. I would just copy down the current IOS you have to a TFTP server(or FTP) and then when you get the new router, copy it back up to the new one so both routers are on the same IOS load.

The telco will tell you how to config the encoding if needed.

If this is a frame circuit then when you config the routers, use subinterfaces just on the off chance you want to add another site or?????????? later. It makes it much easier. Get the LMI type used and the DLCIs assigned to each end from the vendor.

here is what your feature set does:

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the help.

Anyone have an idea where I can get (2) rj-48c cables? Both Routers are missing these cables.

Matt

If you have the tools, I think you can just make them.

Make one end like a standard patch cable (T-568b, or whatnot). Make the other end the reverse of that. It's called a 'rollover cable'. I'm not sure if there's a special Cisco pinout for those RJ45-DB9 converters however, any ideas folks?

Uh, on second thought, if you get the same pinout for the convertors on both ends (you can buy these from RadShack or anywhere else) it should work, no matter what the pinning is. (right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back