Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point-To-Multipoint Tunnel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russholio

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Is it possible to set up Point-To-Multipoint GRE Tunnel on a Cisco 3640?

I want my router to be the source for some multicast traffic, which isn't allowed to be transfered over the regular network, and I don't want to have to establish dozens of GRE tunnels in my router. Is it possible to have 25 routers as destinations for a single tunnel interface on my 3640?

I've checked the Cisco web site and couldn't find anything useful. Anybody have any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
R

If you're only interested in passing MultiCast traffic to your spokes take a look at the first link (this solution utilizes MPLS not GRE).

If you need to be able to transmit unicast data as well look into the 2nd link (this uses GRE tunnels but there are some drawbacks, mainly being that the tunnels are dynamic).
-----------------------------------------------------------
I assume your main concern w/ building individual tunnels would be added CPU load? <just curious>

MPLS Multicast Tunnels:

Dynamic GRE Tunnels:

Reducing CPU load IS definately the primary reason... Thanks for your inputs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back