Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikas babu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2017
what is different between Poe switch non Poe switch

Power Over Ethernet.

Power is sent over the ethernet cable so the device you attach not only communicates, but is also powered by that connection. This is REAL convenient for a lot of devices.

One nice use case, if PoE is used for setting up security camera. You just run the PoE line from your video recording center to the camera. You don't then have to try to locate power outlets at each camera to plug them into. It's all over the ethernet line. The second benefit is that if you put the video recorder and PoE hub/switch on a UPS, the cameras keep recording if the power is cut to the place being recorded. The bad buys think they've killed the cameras by killing the power, but they haven't (make sure the recording gear is hidden or well locked).

It also makes it easier to connect ethernet devices in area where there isn't power. We have several WAP devices in places where we can get the ethernet cable but not power cables very easily.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Where I work, POE has worked for a wireless access points, same as 2ffat. It's a great option to have. And yeah, that's a great idea - using for security cameras. My wife and I have discussed possibly getting cameras at our home. So if we ever get serious about that, POE sounds like something I want to try to remember. Before, I usually thought: Do I want to change out batteries often or do I want to have to get wiring run in my old house to make this work right? [smile]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

We have POE switches that power all of our VOIP phones.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back