Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POE module 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinorhino

Vendor
Aug 29, 2022
US
I've always been curious why Avaya doesn't offer their own Poe module like they do the rest of their expansion modules. Does anyone know why they don't offer this or for example why they don't have a expansion module that just plugs into the expansion ports like they do for the DS modules that also have Poe?

Seems like they would provide their own Poe module in for example 816 24 etc ports.

The old Nortel BCM had a nice wall-mounted Poe module that fit right next to their control unit.

They did! They had a series of ERS switches some with POE. These were based on Nortel models and came as 19" rack size to match the IP Office. There was also the ERS-3510 series which were half width similar in size to the Nortel BES50s.

The ERS-3500 had an IP Office mode to set up voice VLANSs etc.

Yes thank you, look at that I found a whole pile of them advertised on eBay and all over the net.

I've never seen any suppliers like metro line advertise them and I've actually never seen any installed. Do you know why they're not used more often? They look exactly like an expansion module cabinet same color.

ERS switches before they were sold to Extreme were awesome. They have a built in script for configuring to an IP Office. Do that once, and then show config, deconstruct it to see how it fits together. LLDP that Avaya phones would pickup to find the IPO without an option string in the DHCP server.

Great switches but if you know how to program a cheaper switch then I am afraid they are not worth the extra money and they are quite intense as some stuff can only be done via command line.

You can get 4 cheaper switches for the same price (didn't look up pricing so don't crucify me if the numbers are off) and the labour programming will be 30 min or less depending how you set up your network.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Probably OTT if you had a basic phone setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back