Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pocket PC app using VB.net and Visual Studio 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondsc

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
I need to develop a mobile app for pocket pc using ActiveSync. I am fairly familiar with vb.net and visual studio 2005. I have never done a mobile app. What would be a good source of information and reference for a beginner in this area?

It will depend a bit on which OS you'll be developing for but I had a task a year or so ago using Wireless PDA scanners and had to develop something for inventory using them. I had not done anything prior to this and the best course I found was first to read as much as I could (Time permitting) on the Compact .NET Framework before going into it.

The framework is really limited and it will prove challenging to do simple things but in the end you can work around things that are not there. Of course make sure the framework is installed.

codeproject is always good with examples for the compact framework

____________ signature below ______________
General FAQ faq333-2924
5 steps to asking a question faq333-3811

I agree with 'opnt'. I developed one application thus far (Manufacturing Tool Crib) and am in the process of developing another for Inventory, both using Symbol MC9060 handhelds running PocketPC. I did find it was easier than I thought it would be. This site as well as googling pocketpc and .net, gave me alot of information. The apps I developed did not have to sync with anything though. They connect to the network wirelessly and interact with SQL Server in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back