Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PMP certificate - what's the benefit? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

binarybabe

Programmer
May 13, 1999
US
I am curious about the PMP certification. I do project management in my current position for a very small company, and think it might be a nice certification to possess. (When I'm out of school for too long, I start to get bored.)

What is everyone's opinion on this? Why are you working through the process? A job requirement? Better pay? Prestige?

Thanks,
Laurie
Laurie Gray

I have been on the certification trail for years, albeit in more technical pursuits, and have earned numerous certifications. However, I pursued the PMP certification because I felt it was a validation of years of experience and self-study in the PM arena and because my CIO told me in a performance appraisal that she wanted me to become more knowledgeable in formal PM practices. After some research, I determined that the PMP was the certification that would accomplish both of these goals. I started working on the cert in early 2001 and finally took the test last December. Although many IT shops don't deploy formal PM, particularly in the WAN/LAN space, my company has started to projectize all of our divisions and it was a natural fit to mold our IT PM methodology along the PMBOK lines. I feel that the lessons I learned along the PMP certification path helped me immediately as I applied them to my current projects and they will continue to help me in the future.

Passing the test on the first try was obviously a relief, but the journey to the exam is what made the experience worthwhile. Was it worth the effort, for me the answer is yes, definitely, but only you can answer that for yourself. It sounds like you are committed to life-long learning, just as I am, and that is always a good thing for your career. Regardless of whether you choose to earn the PMP or not, remember certs come and go, but true knowledge lasts forever.... you just have to keep updating it ;-)

Good Luck in whatever path you take.

Joe Joseph B. Baugh PMP, CCSE, CUE, CCNP, CCDA
Network Services Manager, Sierra Southwest Cooperative Services, Inc.

Like most things in life, a PMP does not guarantee much of anything. It does provide some input to a prospective employer, customer, or colleague that you have met some professional standard within project management. It also provides you with a common language other PMPs use to communicate with. In my case, it was a tangible affirmation that I am serious about promoting and practicing a professional brand of project management. Hopefully, in the future, it will provide me with a way to differentiate myself from other job applicants but that, to me, is a secondary consideration.

Project management is one of those areas in the workplace crying out for some order and standards. As you may know, quite a large percentage of projects fail. In the long run, this only tends to discredit the role of project manager. Especially with senior management has presided over many of these failed projects.

So those of us who are serious about doing this job right, ought to subscribe and promote professional standards by any means we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back