Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM to PDF to Print

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annika2

Instructor
Feb 6, 2004
CA
I'm using PM7 and I print with a Xerox Docucolor 2240.

Because PM prints so slowly, I convert pages to PDF (using the Export feature), then print the PDF.

However, any black that is generated by PM prints in a dark grey (imported graphics retain their blackness). Also, some jpgs lose their resolution.

I have a 'found' version of PM; I can't upgrade to Indesign.

Thanks.

[qoute]I have a 'found' version of PM;[/quote]
I'm not sure what that means. These forums frown upon the use of dodgy software.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Someone gave me a copy of Pagemaker. There's nothing wrong with it. I only mentioned that because I suspected the answer would be to upgrade to InDesign, instead of a more useful answer.

The long term answer is to upgrade to InDesign, as there's not going to any more development of PM, and if you have a PM licence number, then now is the time to take advantage of the discounted move to InDesignCS.

Because PM prints so slowly,
It shouldn't take more than few seconds for the output file to be in the spooler. The speed of transferring the file to the printer is another issue.

any black that is generated by PM prints in a dark grey
What settings are you using in Distiller? Leave all colours unchanged?

Also, some jpgs lose their resolution.
Make sure you've selected "Normal" for "Send image data" in File -> Print -> Options:

options-normal.gif

Also, avoid JPGs for print work - TIFFs are the preferred image format.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

However, any black that is generated by PM prints in a dark grey (imported graphics retain their blackness). Also, some jpgs lose their resolution."

I have had this problem although not with creating pdf. Open your "show colors" window and make sure you are using black and not "registration".

Im really curious as to why pagemaker prints so "slowly

Why I open my options in the Print Window I don't have the same options as yours? My Pagemaker is 7.0

Why I open my options in the Print Window I don't have the same options as yours?
That's probably because you are not using a PostScript Printer.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Try saving with the "press" settings in export. I've found that changes the black to full black on just the black sep instead of cymk and usually makes it print much better. Also, don't use the Auto black...I think that also color separates the black. For text, etc. use just 100%K.

>>Also, don't use the Auto black...<<

Auto black is not a 'native' colour in the PM colour palette. It gets introduced if you paste in text or graphics from Word documents or the internet. It is always a good idea if it appears in the colour palette to drag it to the trash bin at the bottom of the palette, where you will be asked if you want to change everything in auto black to black. Say yes, and black elements will actually print black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back