Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM Template 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroppy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
AU
Hello

I am looking for a good template for managing projects and tasks. I have a diverse range of small community projects I manage and want a simple excel template.

If anyone can help out, thanks

M

If you are at all concerned about project management then I'd recommend you don't use Excel. It's designed for fixed column spreadsheets ie things can't move about on the page. You'd be better of with Microsoft Project or a cheaper version eg Turboproject. These offer movable Gantt views.

In general each project is different so templates usually aren't very helpful. It's better to get used to thinking in terms of a Work Breakdown Structure. Think of all the things you need to deliver, what needs to be delivered in order to deliver them, and so on. Then build your plan around this pattern, adding the tasks that you need for each deliverable, its duration, who's going to do it and what dependencies there are between of all this.

The key to successful project management is not process or tools any more than fancy paint and canvas determined the quality of the works of Van Gogh.

A template for managing projects and tasks" is so generic a requirement. That's like saying "A template for doing stuff."

What do you mean? You've got 40 projects and you just want to track 40 items? Or you've got 40 projects with 200 tasks each and you want to track 8000 tasks? Or you need a template for event management? Or you need to make certain that expenses don't exceed authorized budgets? Or you need to assign staff to various tasks? Or you need to assign various resources (buildings, playgrounds, etc.) to various activities on specific dates?

You can get by with Excel if you have a strong PM background, don't have to exchange info with alot of people, and are willing to sacrifice the ability to do things like Gantt and PERT charts, etc which come bundled in PM software.

If these conditions do not apply, I'd go with a PM package such as SM Project.

-------------------------
Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there !

Thanks for the replies. Yes, a template for "doing stuff" is exactly what I am talking about, which is what I do, stuff. I'll stick to "to do" lists

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back