Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM software recommendation request 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo809

Programmer
Oct 29, 2009
US
I am not a PM, however, we need to provide the "higher ups" with some PM type information. (Gantt charts, project projections etc.). I need your help. What Project Management software should we use/buy.

The software should create gantt charts, and schedule projects by resource. That way we can move resources around from project to project and it will automatically scale the timeline for project completion. We don't need to track hours, but I don't mind multiplying hours by 8 to get days. Users will not be entering their personal time, its all projection based. Differences over time (shown in gantt chart) would be great.

More information (if needed):

I have looked at several open source solutions, but they seem to be lacking in a couple of points. Our needs are mostly simple so MS Project/Primevera are out. Can you recommend a software that can do the following:
1. Nice looking Gantt charts. (Primarily what we need it for).
2. Resource scheduling including minor resource leveling and automatic scheduling.

My favorites so far and what is wrong with them:
All of the ones I have tried so far have allowed project decencies, (like Finish - Start) but not resource dependencies. I would like to see the project start time "wait" till a resource is free. All the software I have seen doesn't really seem to care if there is a resource available.

1. GanttProject - does not provide enough resource management.
2. KPlato (KDE for windows app) - I cannot for the life of me figure out how to schedule the work.... Guess thats why I am not a PM.
3. OpenProj - Gantt chart does not look as nice, overbooks resources.

I think I figured out a much easier way to ask this.
I need software that can make tasks dependent upon resource availability. Any Ideas?

I was assigned to evaluate pm software earlier this year and one tool that I thought would be useful in portfolio reporting and capacity planning was Planning Force. There's a free trial available from their website (planningforce.com ... obviously!). It didn't suit our needs but it sounds like it could be useful to you.

Good luck
Suzanne

@sossi, thank you for pointing me to a solution. I will give Planningforce a look-see today.

Hi,

You should try Open Workbench, almost as complete as MS-Project, but free.

I used to work with PMW (Open Workbench's father) and I prefer it rather than MS-Project.

You may need a few hours (days?) to be able to understand how OW works, but it's worth the investment.

Regards.
Babynus
Administrator of website
"free tools to helps you manage your projects"

Hi, does anyone know of any project management web applications for a small business that are affordable and do billing and CRM?

Hi,

I started working on a new Open Source Project Management Tool. It may fit your needs. Billing is not implemented yet, but is planned in further version.
Have a look at .
Online demo is available.

Babynus
Administrator of website
"free tools to helps you manage your projects"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back