Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PM 7.0 custom install won't open 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfinger

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
In preparation for installing PageMaker 7.0 (Win2K OS), I removed version 6.52. I then performed a custom install of version 7.0 and all went well -- the program opened up just fine! However, only 3 plug-ins were installed. Upon further investigation I realized that I had failed to install all desired options (plug-ins, filters, etc.) -- the scroll bar for the list of options had been overlooked during the initial attempt. I immediately removed the program and carefully performed another custom install, this time making sure that all desired options were chosen. The program installed without a glitch, but it now refuses to launch. The error message states that there is a problem with one of the plug-ins but unfortunately fails to state which. ...Help!

Do a complete uninstall, and delete all temp files. Do a scan disk, defrag, reboot and reinstall. Let me know what happens.

Also, you may want to copy the CD to a temp directory, then install from your HD. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Viol8ion, thanks for your prompt response! Your thoughts were very similar to mine. When I uninstalled the failed installation of Adobe PageMaker 7.0 I used Norton Utilities' equivalents to scandisk & defrag, "Disk Doctor" & "Speed Disk." I also performed a Norton "CleanSweep" of the Win2K registry followed by a "Registry Healer" registry scan in order to remove all references to PageMaker 7.0. (I was careful to manually review & confirm all changes made to the registry.) Next, I used CleanSweep's "Fast & Safe Cleanup" utility to remove all temporary installation files followed by a "WinDoctor" scan of the OS. ...I did this several times trying different installation combinations, but all ended with the same sorry result. Finally, in desperation, I reinstalled PageMaker 6.52 (without a single hitch) as I had a project deadline to meet. Incidentally, I have found postings on other sites that recommend a "Typical" installation as opposed to a "Custom" installation citing that the Custom installation fails to properly install certain plug-ins. ...I think I'll try installing PageMaker 7.0 in this fashion next time I get the chance, and follow that procedure with an update of the program to version 7.0.1. I think I can then install any
missing custom filters, features, options, etc. by revisiting the install process much like one would do with Windows' "Add/Remove Windows Components." I'll try to post an update on this forum if and when that time comes. ...Thanks again!

You may also want to install 7.0 in Safe Mode, or make sure that all Norton Utilities are turned off... no screensavers, etc. Any of these apps running in the background canbugger up the install. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Thanks again viol8ion! I've tried to install in Safe Mode (Nortion Utilities TSRs don't load in this mode), but the program triggers the same error message — even when activated in Safe Mode! ...Wierd! Adobe's web site offers this same suggestion (to install in Safe Mode), but admits that the error has not been overcome in all instances. Other postings on Adobe's site suggest that the 7.0.1 update cures certain installation glitches, but as luck would have it not mine. What's really strange is that version 6.5 is not certified by Adobe for Win2K, but works just fine whereas 7.0 is supposedly certified. I'm curious to see if the Typical installation ... followed by a 7.0.1 update ... followed by Custom installation of the remaining desired optional features gets the job done.

You may have a bad disk. Install in safe mode almost always does the trick. Is your W2K a clean install, or was it an upgrade from a previous version? Clean install with any Microsloth product is really the only way to go, as the upgrades often leave behind unwanted artifacts. You may need to contact Adobe customer support and ask for a new disk, that may be the only way to go, at this point. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back