Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plz try explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamer2hani

Technical User
Sep 18, 2005
EG
hi guys, i just seen this problem many times and it's annoying me !
sometimes when i turn on the computer (mine or anyone else)the light are on ,but it doesn't boot at all and the screen is off(standby)...!!!
then when i unplug the power cable ...wait seconds
then turn it on again it works ... just out of curiosity does anybody know WHY??? is it the capacitors?? why??
thx in advance

tamer2hani
There is no "ONE" answer as many things can cause this symptom.
Bad capacitors can indeed give this fault, a failing power supply is also a common cause.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I have no proog but i have run into this a hundred times. I think that somehow the power supply resets itself when you unplug the power to the pc. Other times it pays to hold the power on\off button in for a full minute in order to get the pc to boot up.
Paparazi has given some reasons which are known to be causes. Obviously there are more, but we dont know them all. I certainly dont understand them but i only know how to get around them.
So you do want to check your motherboard for bad caps. Also go to badcaps.com for info. If it continues then you might want to check out your power supply. For that you need a digital or analog multimeter and info on how to properly check each rail(different voltage line). You can get a good tutorial for your power supply by going to techrepublic.com. YOu have to sign up to get at the tutorial but its a great site and they dont bug you at all anyway.
Good luck to you.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back