Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLZ HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHDH

Programmer
Feb 13, 2007
MR
i have a query that return data from 5 tables:
encais(>150000 row)
avenant(>170000 row)
client(>60000 row)
agences(20 row)
MODPAI(11 row)
i have Interbase 6.5 server on(windows nt server P2)
delphi 5 prof program executed on P4 winxp prof
when i excuted the query it has no response and the
program stopped.
the query is like this:
select cnumpol,anumave,anumatr,cnumcli,typemode,mmontt,mdatem,
lnomcl
from encais e,
modepai m,
avenant a ,
agences G,
Client C
where A.anumcli=e.cnumcli and
g.sectagen='51' and
e.magece=g;codagen and
e.mmodep=m.mode and
e.cnumpol=a.cnumpol and
e.mavena=A.anumave and
m.typemode in('C','R') and
e.mdatem>='01.01.2004' and e.mdatem<=:'30.04.2007' and a.adatemi>='01.01.2004' and a.adatemi<='30.04.2007'
thank you.

I am not sure how the query can run when it has embedded semi colons in the lines "e.magece=g;codagen" and "e.mdatem<=:'30.04.2007'" so I am assuming that you didn't cut and paste it from your code and instead typed it in. I am also assuming that, like me, you have traced it as a problem with the SQL statement itself by running it under IBConsole (or whatever tool you have) rather than having it come from any other source.

I would alter the where clause in your query from:

g.sectagen='51' and
e.magece=g.codagen and
e.mmodep=m.mode and
e.cnumpol=a.cnumpol and
e.mavena=A.anumave and
m.typemode in('C','R') and
e.mdatem>='01.01.2004' and e.mdatem<='30.04.2007' and a.adatemi>='01.01.2004' and a.adatemi<='30.04.2007'

to

not (g.sectagen<>='51') and
e.magece=g.codagen and
e.mmodep=m.mode and
e.cnumpol=a.cnumpol and
e.mavena=A.anumave and
not (m.typemode not in('C','R')) and
e.mdatem>='01.01.2004' and e.mdatem<='30.04.2007' and a.adatemi>='01.01.2004' and a.adatemi<='30.04.2007'

Let me know if this works. If it does I can explain why. If not then we are in trouble.

good luck :)

ujb

Sorry I made a typo, the altered where clause should read...

not (g.sectagen<>'51') and
e.magece=g.codagen and
e.mmodep=m.mode and
e.cnumpol=a.cnumpol and
e.mavena=A.anumave and
not (m.typemode not in('C','R')) and

I'm in the neighbourhood so thought I'd add a note to this post. One reason why some queries run slowly without any visible clue is that sometimes InterBase's query 'optimizer' does not pick the most appropriate plan when dealing with large result sets. In particular if you have a small table and/or a table with low selectivity and you have defined a primary key on it and you join to a large table with a foreign key to the smaller table InterBase will attempt to use the index to the smaller table instead of just carrying out a table scan. You can see this when you look at the query plan, FK indexes to both agences and MODPAI will be used in the query. So, what you do is convince InterBase not to use these indexes and you do this by altering the where clause to remove any potential for the table to join themselves on the indexed column - i.e. use a NOT(x NOT IN (y1,y2)) or a NOT(x<>y)

This probably needs an FAQ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back