Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plotting a trend line on a chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBO

Technical User
Oct 2, 2008
GB
I am trying to plot a trend line onto a line graph in Business Objects. I have hunted high and low and I cannot seem to find a BO function that does this.

My data is pretty simple but I cannot figure out how to do this, my data table is in the format below:

Date [Measure]
01/01 0
02/02 7
03/02 4
04/02 6
05/02 10
Etc etc

Any help greatly appreciated!

There is nothing built in. You'll need to build whatever formula you need for the curve smoothing.

If you want to do the average of the 3 previous values, you'll need a formula like this:

average(previous(previous([measure)) + previous([measure]) + [measure])

Assign this to a variable and put the variable in your chart. This will give you a smoother line.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Thanks Steve, I have split this into two new measures for simplicity, the first being the last 3 average using:

=Average(Previous(previous([measure])))

And I generated another variable:

=previous([measure]) + [measure])

But when I create another variable adding the two of them I get results significantly higher than expected. I think this is because the second variable adding the measure it to its previous value

Can you please explain what the second half of your formula was supposed to represent?

Thanks for your patience, I am struggling with this one!

There is no second half. You have your parens in the wrong place. My formula was adding up the 3 values and taking the average of them.

Average(
[measure] +
Previous([measure]) +
Previous(Previous([measure]))
)

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back