Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

plist documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEclipse

Programmer
Dec 27, 1999
US
Okay, so I upgraded to leopard. Its nice. I searched online for some tweaks and found the main thing I was looking for: turning off the 3-d look of the new dock. The process basically consisted of adding a line to the com.apple.dock.plist file via the terminal. Not a problem really. But it got me thinking: how do people find out about these hidden features and configuration options?

I (carefully) went browsing around the plist files in my user Library folder and found some other neat options that were just shut off, but when I was turning off the glass dock I had to *add* a new sibling to the file. Its not that it was there but disabled....it wasn't there in the first place.

So how did someone find out about it? I have to think that it cannot be just that someone from the inside has published information about all these little tweaks without Jobs' permission. Is there official documentation somewhere?

Or that thing about setting your desktop to be your screensaver...how did someone find out about that? I have tried looking in the manpages for things like that and cannot ind what I am looking for -- though I must admit that my understanding of how to work manpages is very limited.

Robert Carpenter
Remember....eternity is much longer than this ~80 years we will spend roaming this earth.
ô¿ô

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back