Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLesae help...an anoying message service pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

softdrink

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
CA
I have this anoying message service, a grey pop-up box, like a window alert type is constantly poping up, avertising messages of all sorts. It says that my ip requested the info but we all know that's not true it's spam. How do I stop it. I tried to disable programs I do not recognoize in the startup menu but no change.

I'm on cable so I'am always connected. When I close my connection, the message messages do not come up. I knoe there is a file that activates the allert. does anybody know anything about this?

thanks

softdrink

There are a couple of things you can do to stop this.
First is to get a program to scan for Adware on your computer. I recommend either of the following
Ad-Aware Spybot Next step is to disable the Messenger service
Right click My Computer, select Manage, Services and Applications, Services, then find Messenger in the list and set it to Disable. If you run into any issues later, you can reenable this service, but you probably wont need it on a home computer.
Third step would be to get a firewall like Zonealarm MCSE, A+

thanks, I disabled messenger and scanned for spyware, found few and removed them...

softdrink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back