Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please wait pop-up box

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezEling

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2004
GB
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to pop a little box up on the screen when a button is clicked to run a stored procedure? I have searched the net and followed two examples on the FAQ on here but I can't seem to get either to work correctly.

Thanks in advance

Jez.

1. Use Javascript to open a new window setting the url to the page that runs the stored procedure
2. In the page that is called by 1, open the db connection and execute the stored procedure.
3. When finished write to the response buffer 'Process Complete' or whatever takes your fancy.
4. If you want the user to close the popup supply a button to do so with javascript, otherwise set a timeout in javascript that calls the window.close() method.

A smile is worth a thousand kind words. So smile, it's easy! :)

Is there a page transition when you run this procedure or is it in a frame or something?

The stored procedure is triggered when the user clicks a hyperlink on a menu, however the page that runs the stored procedure has little more than the SQL server connection and command to execute the stored procedure on.

So... will the points above work for you?

Perhaps you could send a simple "Please Wait" message with Response.Flush and then execute the stored procedure and then send the "Done" message or some client script to redirect to the confirmation page?

Oh I think I misunderstood.

You want the link to open a new window for the ASP that executes the stored procedure?

What you said will still work Sheco - it will just be housed on a different page (which could show "Please Wait" and the flush either a "Done" statement or it could reponse.write/flush some javascript code to play around with the text on the screen, show an alert box, popup div or whatever).

shouldnt it be like this:

You have a javascript popup window...once the ok button is clicked...you redirect it to a action.asp page on which you have the code to execute the stored procedure and also a redirect to the success page...

it shud be simple...am i missing something here??

-DNG

DNG: I agree it shouldn't be too difficult after the above explanations.

It's possible the original poster got it taken care of and we're all just rambling on now, we'll have to wait and see :)

barcode_1.gif

Thank you for all your responses, I will take your comments and hopefully get a solution. I will let you all know if I encounter any further troubles.

Thanks all

Jez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back