Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi All:

My new computer arrived on Friday, and so far, everything is working perfectly, except for this pesky modem problem I'm having. The machine is a 1.7GHz Dell Dimension 8100 series using Windows ME, and the modem is a Lucent WinModem.

My problem is this: When I try to connect, the modem dials out OK, but on the connection attempt, I hear the handshaking shrieking for a LONG time, and then the modem does eventually connect, but no faster than 7200bps. Imagine surfing the net at 7.2KBPS. Not fun!

Anyway....I've been able to finagle some connect strings (copied off my old machine) that allow me to connect at 19,200 BPS, but no faster. Currently, the extra string I'm passing to the modem is:
AT&D0+MS=K56

Can anyone help me with this? The modem is a standard 56K modem, so I can't understand why I'm not able to get a connect faster than 19,200. On my old machine, using the same phone line and phone cord, gets at least a 28,800 connection, and usually averages in the mid 30KBPS range.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Michael

Remove all drivers. Then do an Auto detect or the modem. See if Win Me has the latest drivers for it (or any drivers). If not you will have to get the most recent drivers. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Get the latest (for WinME) driver at Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Just called Phone company service to change new wires line make is shorter. This exactly my problem b4.

There are numerous things you could try on this one. Try lowering the baud (yes, lowering), and if you have call waiting or voice mail, you should add "x2" to the init string so it cancels any busy detection. I'd also suggest a shorter phone cord, taking it off a surge protector or a splitter, and plugging it directly into the wall. Also, if possible, try a different access #. Failing that, I'll be a typical ISP employee, and contact your phone company for line noise.

Good luck!
Julie s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back