Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please insert overwritable media.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudip00

MIS
Dec 23, 2002
US
Hi, We have had BckupExec for about 8 months. Until last nite the backup's were good. But this morning i received the notification on the bottom. The thing is, we have not changed a setting since the initial setup. All I do is change the tapes weekly in the same manner everytime. Any suggestions or options I can check. Thank you.

Notification Message:
Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

May I venture a guess that you are using Version 8.6?

If so, there are a few people with the same problem (me included)
Here are some things to check before you panic:

1. Does your tape have enough space to hold the data you're backing up? (Taking into account that Compression isn't always 2:1)
2. When last did you clean your Drive?
3. Do you have any overwrite protection?

If you answered Yes,yesterday and no; let's hope SQLBill reads this post!! [wink]

Cheers,
Tyrone

Thanks Tyrone...

Sudip00,

Knowing it's a robotic library and you are changing tapes...How are you changing them?

Do you just put them into their slots? If so, that's not going to work. First, highlight the slot and export any tape already in there. Then, highlight the slot and select import, then put your tape(s) in the 'mailbox' or whatever your system uses to add tapes.

My DELL 136T autoloader has a door within the main door. This smaller door has slots for tapes and that's where the tapes are put when I export them. That's also where I put them when I need to import them. Then Veritas takes them from there and moves them to their proper slots. That door within a door is the mailbox.

Also, check to see if you or someone else moved the 'slider' on the tape itself to 'protected'. I had that happen to me once.

-SQLBill

Tyrone & SQLBill,
Appreciate your help. Someone had them write protected.
thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back