Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

byfr7

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi,

I created a form to allow users to add new working location
by entering address and street names and information like work types, work completed date, work order number, etc.... However, my users asked me to allow them to type the location information only once when the different work type done at the same place. I really have no idea how to make this work. Could anyone give me some idea, thanks.

May

Hi May,

If your users using a continous form, tell them to use the shortcut key method (Ctrl+') to copy previous rows data. Otherwise use 2 buttons one for copy repeating data and other to paste data using something like clipboard.copy method, I'm not sure.

HTH

Manoj

Hi marymsa,
sounds like you need a couple of tables:
table1
jobID(Primary key)
jobLocation
JobDate

table2
JobDetID
JobID(foreign key)
worktype
etc...

you then need to create relationships between the two tables

read faq700-1681 to get ya started

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to use what adsfx suggested cause I really don't understand how to copy the repeating data. However, I still encountered problem when I tried to add new record to the second form. The first one is for location info--->the second is for the detail info of the work done by the location. It keeps telling me that I cannot ad or change a record because a related record needed in the first form (from location table).

on your relationships turn off ref. integrity...
this isnt best practice and it takes a while to fully grasp why these controls are in place and how they work in 'the biga picture'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back