Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

partisanentity

Technical User
Nov 16, 2010
AT
Hi all,

I have a small problem. I created a file in InDesign, exported it as a PDF, and sent it to a publisher for inclusion in a magazine.

Unfortunately, when I received a copy of the magazine, my image looked terrible.

I contacted the publisher, and they claim my file is wrong.

So I would like to get some other opinions.

As far as I can tell the file I made is fine, it contains an image (transparent psd file) on a a black backround (Black 100%).

Could someone let me know if I have created the file properly, or if I messed it up in InDesign or while exporting it?

Here is my original file (i have cropped some bits off):

Here is a scan of what it looked like in the magazine:

Thank you very much in advance.

The publisher is correct. There are two big issues.

1)

That type has been needlessly rasterized into an image. Photoshop should not have been used.

If you decide to use Photoshop in the future for type, make sure the type remains live, unrasterized. Then save as PDF from Photoshop.

A Photoshop PDF file will retain crisp text in InDesign. A PSD file will not retain crisp text in InDesign.

2)

Your transparency blend options were a bit off to produce the different blacks.

...basically, you could have saved a lot of trouble if you used InDesign (a program well suited for type) for type. Leave Photoshop for photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back