Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help with Windows Profiles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoTech

MIS
Feb 21, 2001
US
I despise Microsoft! I just had to get that off my chest. Due to other problems we are experiencing, we have to delete some user accounts and recreate them on the DC. Same name, same password, Just physically deleting and recreating them. This by the way is in an all Windows 2000 environment. We thought by keeping the login information the same, it would not affect user's profiles on their workstation. We were wrong. Every user that has been recreated now gets the default Windows profile when they log into the domain. This is really a pain in the tush, as all their Outlook, MSN, etc...applications have to be reconfigured. Does anyone know of anyway around this? Or an alternative? Thanks.

BRO ! ! ! Sorry man. Why do you need to delete them and recreate them??? When you delete the account the "SID" for the account is lost forever. Even if you create a new account it will obtain a new SID. They will all be treated like a new account. Sorry man. Maybe someone else has info? Why are you deleting them Maybe there is somethig else you can do?

Wiredtoad is right. Every user has a SID. This stands for Security IDentification. These are pains in the arses, but needed for security.
I know that there is some sort of command line you can type in to move users from one domain to another, aslong as they have trust. Put another post up mate. Steve Hewitt
IT Administrator

Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified Professional (75 - 215)

The SID goes away but the old profile on the machine does not. IT's just the the new account loads the new profile associated with the new SID. You will see all of the user profile based registry entries under HKEY_USERS\S-1-21-.....

Each of these keys is a SID. I wouldn't recomend trying to copy these into the current profile, but certain information could be recovered from them and applied to the new profile. Also, desktop and menu shortcuts, files stored in the desktop , etc will be found in C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>. (If you are using the same userid you should see two folders: the original and a new one that is probably named the same with a trailing 2.) Most of this could be copied into the new profile. The exceptions would be mapped drives and printers since these connections send credentials to the server that contain the SID.

I guess, I would throw in with the others and ask why you're completely deleting the users and recreating them?
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

I have a windows 2000 server and 2000/98 clients. One of my 2000 client can't seem to load a profile. I tried both local and roaming but either one does not seem to be able to save the settings. When I log off and logon I always get the default profile and not the profile I supposedly saved the last time.

The other 2 windows 2000 cleints does not have this problem.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back